this

Just turned in chapter three…

Well, the preface was over 25 pages, so this is really chapter 4 in terms of work spent. This was a particuarly hard chapter for several reasons:

– I was doing something no one else had (that I could find) — using Windows pass-through auth with Java. It took a week to get that working and ended up getting license to use J/Invoke for my book from the author for free.

– I ended up writing a perl script to generate stub files for each new example. This saves me about an hour for creating the stubs for class files and unit tests for: C#, Java, VI Java, the VI Toolkit for .NET, the VI Toolkit (for Windows) (PowerShell), and the VI Perl Toolkit.

– It still takes an insufferably long time to synchronize comments between all the different languages. I have tried extremely hard to remain consistent in my commentary between languages wherever possible.

– The last section, saving and loading sessions, took a while because I had to create verbage that does not exist. The image in that section represents an end product of about 17 attempts. I hope you like it…

Advertisements

One thought on “Just turned in chapter three…

  1. Would love to read the book. I have Safari subscription. Do you know when early drafts will be available on Safari,

    Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s